Monday, November 9

In which we sparkle

The day of our excursion to St. Malo/Mont St. Michel, g² made tentative plans to go to the coast the next day, provided the weather was nice. It appeared to be heading that way, so we met up deathly early again (I don't know how I ever managed to wake up for high school), and went to the tram stop, only to discover that it wouldn't be coming for about 20 minutes, so we walked along the tracks three stops farther to take up time, and got to the train station about 45 minutes later. We had been informed of a special deal offered by the regional transit where we would pay 35 euro for a ticket for up to five people that was valid for 48 hours, and would allow us onto any regional train. Despite not remembering the name of the offer, we had no trouble at all getting our ticket, and catching the train to La Baule, the town Hélène mentioned as having a good beach. We got off the train at the station, and made a beeline for the beach, getting held up briefly by a triathlon that was going on along the waterfront.

We set up camp on a nice patch of sand, and spent the next few hours until lunchtime wading, jumping waves, searching for shells, taking pictures of gross slimy things that washed up on shore, and, of course, doing a fair bit of napping in the sun. The weather was beautiful and warm, so warm in fact that I was regretting not bringing a tank top.

We left the beach briefly to search for some lunch, which proved slightly difficult as it was a Sunday, and therefore nothing was open, however, we managed to find a bakery selling sandwiches. Then it was back to the beach for more of the same, and Sophie long hair and I went back up briefly to search for clothing suitable for swimming in. The closest I found was a pair of denim weight shorts, but I thought, "why not?", and bought them. We went swimming shortly after (we being Nicole, long hair, and I), so I have now been in the Atlantic. It was warmer than I was expecting, and calm enough that we could actually swim around instead of merely fighting to stay above water like we would have been doing in the Pacific.

We stayed in for a long time, finally exiting to drip dry (as I had forgotten a towel) and basking for a while longer in the sun. As it drew on toward dinner, Sophie short hair and Sterling left to find some sort of a picnic dinner, returning with apples, bread, cheese, and chocolate. Which is really all you need :)

There followed a nice long picture session where we made roughly 50 attempts to take a group photo, and then each felt it necessary to thoroughly document the sunset. I ended up with around 20 pictures of it, which is I think a fairly conservative amount compared to the others'.

Regretfully, we packed up our things, as the setting of the sun signaled the end of our day at the beach and the need to get back to the station before the last train left. We were there in plenty of time, however, and so spent our waiting time getting artsy pictures of the train tracks and us sitting on the benches, and Sophie long hair attempted to climb the side of the station building.

On the trip back we sat on the upper floor of the double-decker train, squishing all five of us into a special five person corner that would have been really awkward to sit in if you didn't know the other people, because we had to literally interlace our knees for there to be enough space.

We also discovered under the fluorescent lighting of the train that the sand still stuck on our feet and legs sparkled. It was a fantastic trip, practically perfect in every way!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren! It sounds like you are having such a great time in France. Yay for the beach, and French lunches!

    ReplyDelete