Well hello, all! I'm back in France, and, by popular request, am attempting to give this blog another go. I realize I kind of left it hanging last time I was over here, and probably didn't write about half the things I meant to. I'd say I'll do better this time, but who knows if that will be the case. I shall certainly try to update regularly with tales of my trials and travails, and if I do we can all smile and act pleasantly surprised!
So, on to business: I am now in Nevers, France, having arrived on Sunday the 25th from Paris, where I arrived the 22nd and stayed a few days. There's not a ton to tell from that part of the trip, besides sore arms from hauling around 90 lbs worth of luggage up and down the stairs of the Metro, a couple sleepless nights due to jetlag, a couple very late nights (by late, I mean like back at 4:30am late) due to a very friendly New Yorker and her friends, and beautiful weather in a beautiful city. Suffice to say, I departed from the Gare de Lyon station for Nevers on Sunday afternoon, and had a very quick, uneventful ride to Nevers. Upon arriving, I dragged myself the several blocks to my hotel, only to realize upon inspecting my booking confirmation that the concierge wouldn't be open until 5:30pm. It was currently 4pm. Luckily, the hotel is right across the street from a park, Le Parc Roger Salengro, so I just sat myself against a tree and read for a while until the guy came back.
Some of you are aware, some not, but the program I am working for does not provide housing; you are obligated to find it yourself. If you're lucky, someone from your school will help you. If not... tant pis. Thus, my first order of business when getting here was to find a place to live, preferably before my reservation at the hotel ran out. I had the vague idea before I left that a few other assistants and I would try to room together, or at least look together. That was pretty much a no-go, because rooming is much more an American thing, and it's nearly impossible to find apartments for two or more unless you're a couple. So, I did look at several studios and 1-bedrooms with Katy, an assistant from New York who will be working at a high school here. However, what we were advised to do by our respective contacts at the schools was to check out a place called Foyer Clair-Joie, a sort of dorm-type place for young students and workers. We discounted them initially as being far too institutional, but as of now that is where I will be living for the next 7 months. It appears that all the assistants in Nevers will be living there, and we've already met a few of the other occupants. I predict good times will be had by all, despite the ugliness of the rooms!
The housing search has taken up the bulk of my time here, but the rest has been spent wandering around, getting to know the downtown area (Foyer Clair-Joie is right smack in downtown), hanging out with the other assistants/Frenchies, speaking adrenaline French, and meeting with my conseillière pédagogique, Françoise, who is my main contact for my schools. And speaking of, for those who don't know, I will be teaching in three different primary schools, one in Nevers and two in Fourchambault, which is around 7 km away. On Monday, we will have an orientation for all the assistants in La Nièvre, which is the region where Nevers is located (it is the main city), and on Tuesday Françoise has promised to take me around to my schools. We have another orientation on Thursday for just the primary school assistants, and will most likely start sometime next week! Gasp!
So there you have it, the most up to date news of my trip so far. Pictures will be forthcoming, but I'll save it for after I get some good ones of the pretty things in Nevers.
Until then!
Lauren
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment